Thursday, November 29, 2012

Dance of the Devices

I have been using my Acer Laptop for school, gaming, web browsing, and even phone calls since I bought it about a year ago. Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced the charger cable for it. I have looked everywhere for it, to no avail. I tried other laptop charging cables I had lying around, but they had issues with this particular laptop. So the laptop is dead and I have no way to reliably charge it. Thus, I dug into my plastic tote of devices and pulled out the CR-48 Google had sent me a couple years ago. 

This device was meant to be used to Beta Test Google's Chrome OS (operating system.) The hardware on the device isn't the greatest, being a free Beta Test device, but the software has come a long way since I first powered this little guy on. 

As I turned it on today, it had an update to perform, which is to be expected after so long. If nothing else, Chrome OS is known for its constant and automatic (and very unobtrusive) system updates. So you always know your machine is up-to-date. 

After the update, I began using this old CR-48 in some of the same ways I had used my Acer Windows-powered laptop, and surprisingly, this thing keeps up quite well. The only thing I haven't been able to do is play specific games that are Windows and Mac only. Other than that, it is great for browsing the web, using social media sites, listening to music, updating calendar, taking notes in the Scratchpad app at school, and of course, writing Blog posts.  :)

I am quite content using this machine as my main portal to the internet. I will need another machine for gaming, however.

I use the Nexus 7 for Netflix because I prefer the tablet experience for movies and TV shows. I would imagine Netflix would work fine on the CR-48 though.

Which machines do you use and for what? Have you tried Chrome OS? What do you think of it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
//*Facebook Button*//
//*Twitter Button*//