Saturday, July 14, 2012

Final Fantasy XI Free Trial Update


   I was looking for something to do tonight because I finished homework early and quickly became bored reading motivational quotes and "like this if you remember such-and-such" posts spamming my newsfeed on Facebook.

  I decided to download the Final Fantasy XI free trial on PC to kill some time. I had played the online game since its North American release on PC way back in October of 2003, but have taken a long break from it since last year (2011.) I remember the updates after a fresh reinstall of the game, being very large and drawn-out. It's nice to see some things never change (he says, sarcastically.)

   I finally got through all of the hoops in creating my free trial account (which was a horrid mess, causing me to almost give up at least twice in the process.) Finally it had to check the game files which took 30 minutes on this poorly spec'd laptop. Then the dreaded update came...

  9 hours and 30 minutes of updating, just for the free trial client. The free trial restricts you to level 30 and to the original areas in-game that came with its initial launch way back in 2002 in Japan (this means it doesn't even include Rise of the Zilart expansion pack areas, which came bundled with every North American copy of the came when it was released here.) Somehow, the update is still unrealistically large. I just downloaded the free trial client installer today, at which time they probably could have downloaded everything else with it instead of making me download it now that my account is created and the 14 day trial is already ticking. It's a ripoff; More than 9 hours of that trial is going to go to waste.

   I simply wanted to install it quickly and start playing in order to kill some time tonight. At this rate, it wont be done downloading until tomorrow afternoon. Now what am I going to do for the rest of the night?  :(

2 comments:

  1. That's a long time...for just an update? How long did this client itself w/out updates take to dl?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It couldn't have taken very long, because I don't even remember waiting on that part to download, unless I was distracted that deeply at the time, haha.

    Luckily, the estimated time it gave me seems to have been miscalculated. It is down to 45 minutes left and it has only need a couple hours.

    ReplyDelete

 
//*Facebook Button*//
//*Twitter Button*//